Through the Breach

Fredo's Diary: Breaking Molly Out of Jail

After the Guild Guard hauled Molly away and the woman with the winged backpack flew away, our group went in our separate ways. I went straight to The Star and told Miss Collette about what happened at the cemetery and in the sewers. Then I went back to the Fox and Hound and went to sleep. I was awakened by a knock at my door. Now fearful of knocks at the door, I hid in the closet, hoping the knocker would go away. Then I heard the voice of the one in our group who seemed to work as a messenger. I opened the door. He had a letter from Collette saying the situation had progressed and to assemble the group and get Molly out of the Guild Guard’s jail. I related this to the messenger. He said he had seen the others at Miss Patty’s.

We went there and found the tailor, the doctor and the Chinaman. The doctor had received a note from the wagon driver also asking him to come to the jail to determine whether Molly was dead or not. We went over to the Guild Enclave and the wagon driver helped us all talk our way in.

We went down several levels into the jail and even saw some Neverborn in there. The guards related that Molly had seemed fine – a little dazed and slow, but fine – when she was brought in. Then she sat down and closed her eyes and stopped responding to them. They tried throwing cold water on her, but nothing worked. The guards seemed scared of her, even though she was out cold, and said they’d have to lock the cell once we were inside. We went inside.

Molly was seated upright, not leaning against anything. Her eyes were closed and she was not breathing. Doctor Smith did all his medical checks, listening for her heartbeat and so forth. There was some coagulated blood she had vomited up a couple hours before our arrival.

Dr. Smith told the Guild Guards she was dead and that we should be allowed to remove the body, but the Guard insisted that “the judge” must see her before we could leave with her. One Guard walked swiftly down the hall to get “the judge,” but when he reached the corner he started backing up, and we saw an imposing man advancing upon us, a man who turned out to be Dr. McMorning, the head coroner.

Dr. McMorning insisted that we remove the body. When one of the Guards objected, Dr. McMorning’s assistant, Sebastian, struck him on the head and he fell to the ground. The Chinaman unleashed some sleeping gas, and the other guard fell as well. Dr. McMorning and the wagon driver, who it turns out works for Dr. McMorning, collected Molly and the guard with the head wound, who turned out to be dead as well, and placed them on a gurney. We moved swiftly to the lift. Dr. McMorning suddenly stopped his swift, continuous patter and counted down, “3 .. 2 … 1,” and we heard a boom and the sound of masonry falling behind us. We would learn shortly that the explosions – there were more – were courtesy of the man from last night, the man with the big green hat who called her Molly, whose name evidently was Seamus. We reached the elevator and went up. We could see sunlight, even though we were in interior corridors. The Guild jail is an interesting place.

Dr. McMorning tapped on the gem in Molly’s necklace, and she swatted his hand away. He said, “Oh, we’re not playing dead anymore?” and she gently shook her head from side to side.

We reached an alley-side backdoor, where McMorning kicked awake a green-suited man – Seamus – and handed Molly down to him.

“Well, I checked in so I have to go out the front,” said Dr. McMorning. We all headed off with Dr. McMorning, who was now talking about his library. Dan had lagged behind and ran up and said Seamus had left the sewer grate open. Dr. Smith asked Sebastian, a beefy man, to take care of it, and from the scraping metals sounds, we assumed he did.

We walked back through the now-half-destroyed jail with the dead Guild Guard on the gurney and saw zombies and a red-headed, blind-folded woman and a man striking down the zombies near the front entrance. Some people with masked faces issued for purple tendrils that grabbed each fallen zombie and stuck it in one of the coffins they seemed to have brought with them in bulk.

We moved swiftly out of the jail and the Enclave and followed Dr. McMorning back to his library. When we arrived, he wheeled the body into his lab, and we followed him in. There we saw lots of cobbled-together bio-mechanical inventions. A little chihuahua, with a lot of stitches and scars on it, greeted Dr. McMorning. We arrived at an archway, and Dr. McMorning pulled out a couple bricks, opening a hidden door. Sebastian ushered us through, and we followed Dr. McMorning. Behind us, Sebastian closed the door and replaced the two bricks. We followed Dr. McMorning down, down into the sewers. Dr. Smith began asking Dr. McMorning about how he “reanimated” his chihuahua, whatever that means.

Dr. McMorning finally led us to a very old door, what looked like it was once a storeroom, and let us in. The room had been fitted with shelves, and from Sebastian’s proud smile I got the impression he had done the carpentry in there. Dr. McMorning sat down, put his feet up, and said, “And now we wait.” Someone asked, “For what?” and he replied, “For Seamus and Molly.”

Dan said, “I don’t want to be here when they get here.”

Dr. Smith said, “When I was little, I was taught when you do something wrong, you apologize.” Dan seemed calmer and remained. The chihuahua ran around between our feet.

The wagon driver asked Dr. McMorning about Molly’s condition. The doctor said that the gemstone in her necklace was called the Gorgon’s Tear. Molly died while the gem was on display, and it appeared on her body during her funeral. They were unable to remove it from her, and so the Governor said they could bury her with it thanks to her hard work on the Guild’s newspaper. Nobody knows how it works.

Dr. McMorning said he’d been helping Seamus with a scheme, which Seamus would illuminate upon his arrival.

Eventually we heard many feet shuffling outside, and Seamus, Molly and the other ladies came in. Seamus recognized us, but said he didn’t know why we were there. Dr. McMorning said that was his doing, that we were curious about his library.

Dr. Smith asked Seamus if he got anything out of the head, and he said not yet. Seamus said something about “killing her” – Molly – “to make her my own,” and the wagon driver began laughing in a most disturbing way. Molly began vomiting blood, and Seamus asked her to wait outside. Seamus said she’d been dead for two months, so he didn’t know where all the blood was coming from. He said, “We think it has something to do with the Gorgon’s Tear.”

Seamus said, “The reason we’re here is we’re going to try to wake up Mr. Tombers to see what he knows about these -, since it seems they’re already here.”

Dr. McMorning said, “Sebastian has the head,” and Sebastian nodded. Dr. McMorning produced a smallish machine and said he needed a soulstone. I offered my three, and Seamus and all the others offered the others, but the doctor said it was from the wrong vein. He brought Molly in and tricked her into allowing the Gorgon’s Tear into the machine. A blinding, painful light filled the room, and the machine seemed to tattoo something onto Tomber’s head. Sebastian had been closest to the machine, and blood streamed down from his eyes as he held his head.

Seamus said, “Good morning, Philip.” The head said, “I’m alive? I thought that woman with the sword got me.” Seamus told him, “No, but I’ve delayed your afterlife a bit.” Philip Tombers, the head, began screaming, and Seamus told him to knock it off and put him into his satchel.

Tombers stopped sceaming, and Seamus opened the bag and began talking to him, introducing his topic at great length like a politician or university lecturer. Seamus said something about going to Kythera, and Tombers vaguely agreed before launching into a fit of incoherent babbling.

The wagon driver suggested we might accompany Seamus and company to Kythera, and at length he was persuaded that we might come along to satisfy our own curiosity. Seamus asked Dr. McMorning how long Tombers would be able to communicate with us, and Dr. McMorning said it depends on the soulstone, but usually they don’t make it after the “explosion phase,” usually a week. He said the Gorgon’s Tear is powerful, so it could be longer, could be around as long as Molly. I asked for clarification about the danger of the “exploding phase,” and Dr. McMorning said using a soulstone slightly more powerful than ours, it took out his first lab. He said the last one started screaming just before the explosion, and he also said that Kythera was three days away.

Dr. McMorning led us out of the sewers, and I went to The Star to check in with Miss Collette. I told her all about the morning and that I would be traveling to Kythera and would be gone for a few days at least, and possibly never if I was blown up when Tombers exploded. Miss Collette gave me a brass dove. She said to whisper my message to the dove and it would be conveyed to her. She offered other help, and taught me how to target an area with my spell to create a shield.

I returned to the Road and Pony and cast telekinetic movement, teleport and a combined spell into my soulstones. I gathered my belongings and checked out of the hotel. I dropped of my uniform at The Star and went to meet the group.


shadowopal schiann

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.